HISTORY OF BLANDFORD CAMP
The history of Blandford Camp is portrayed in a number of Museum displays.
BENBOW LINES IN 1917
In November 1914 the Royal Naval Division (RND) established a base depot and training camp on the site and a German POW camp was set up alongside it.
At the end of 1919 the camp was closed and both the wooden huts built for the RND and the camp's railway line were removed. The site returned to agricultural use.
The Royal Corps of Signals Memorial
The Royal Signals Memorial was moved from Catterick when the training organisation moved to Blandford Camp in the early 1990s.
The Home of the Corps
Under the Government's 'Options for Change' initiatives of the early 1990s the face of Blandford Camp changed considerably.
US 22ND GENERAL HOSPITAL
In April 1944 the first of five US Army hospitals was established in the camp ready to receive the wounded from the invasion of Europe. These hospitals were closed after VE Day, having treated some 20,000 patients.
The Roosevelt Garden and Memorial werededicated on 30th May 1945 in the camp and a memorial service is held there annually in November in remembrance of those who died.
From 1946 until 1962 Blandford Camp was used to train National Servicemen by the Royal Artillery, the Royal Army Service Corps, REME and the Army Catering Corps. The camp was also used as a venue for motor cycle racing until the circuit was adjudged unsafe.
In 1960 the 30th Signal Regiment moved into the Camp to be followed in 1967 by the School of Signals which moved South after over 40 years in Catterick. The School (now the Royal School of Signals) was responsible for management and technical courses for Royal Signals Officers and Non-commissioned Officers.
The School came to Blandford Camp in 1967 so that its students could take part in joint exercises with other Corps in the South of England and its engineering officers would be close to the centres of research and development.