A+ A A-

Corps History

CAP BADGE HISTORY

   
Transparency The Royal Signals cap badge is heraldically described as; "The figure of Mercury holding a Caduceus in the left hand, the right hand aloft poised with the left foot on a globe all silver above the globe a scroll inscribed 'Certa Cito' and below on each side six laurel leaves all gold, the whole ensigned with the Crown in gold."But to every member of the Corps it is affectionately know as "JIMMY". ReadMore

 


 

CORPS HISTORY

   
ModernCorps  From earliest times some form of signalling has been used by armies in the field.  The Greeks had the torch telegraph and the water telegraph, and the Roman army used coloured smoke as a means of communication.
In England, during the 16th century, beacons were used and in 1796 the Admiralty adopted a shutter- type machine, known as the 'Murray Lettering Telegraph', to communicate between London and Devonport.  The following year the Army introduced the Radiated Telegraph System, which proved to be a more mobile system than the Murray Telegraph, and was used during the Napoleonic wars.
ReadMore

 

 


 

COMMUNICATIONS THROUGHOUT THE AGES

 

These pages give outline details of the communication equipment that has been used by the Royal Signals throughout its history.

ReadMore

 

SIGN UP NOW FOR THE MUSEUM NEWSLETTER

Facebook-icon
The Royal Signals Museum © Crown Copyright © | All rights reserved | Registered Charity 1070420